A month as a K-pop Dance Student

Hey guys! I was a Kpop dance student for a whole month (July) at the Korean Cultural Center and it thought me a lot not just about dance but also about people who are entertainers.

The first week, I was extremely excited and it put me to the test on how my body was not prepared for this. 
I thought it was a beginners class because in the poster it said from beginners to advanced but the instructor wasn't told that and submitted only advanced songs because the beginner and intermediate classes were held last year and some months ago so the people who hadn't danced should I call it professionally? I'm not sure, I think it should be the people who don't have a foundation in dance we're only two; another classmate and I.

The first dance I learnt was the Chorus of bad by Ateez, I enjoyed the song when it was being played plus it was my first time listening to it but then there was something called "isolation"; learning to move both your upper and lower body at the same time without it being the same "move" or "side. I wondered why I struggled so much because everyone was already getting it first so it felt like I slowed the class down.
On that day or even the coming days, I didn't know that it wasn't a beginner dance. No wonder, on the first day when I asked my instructor to "please be slower, we're beginners" he told me to "only speak for myself."

On the second day, after class, my whole body was numb; at home, I acted like a 200 year old who didn't have enough energy and whose bones already have up. I couldn't move and couldn't practice so I had to skip the third day; Wednesday. My mom asked me if I still wanted to continue, I said yes and proceeded to go on Thursday.

I think it was that same week that we were thought the dance break of "Bad" by Ateez then "Killin' it girl" by J-hope. It was that week, that I learnt I could learn other people's choreographies by myself.

I always had a passion for dance, I often like free styling or practicing Chinese Traditional but this was the first time I actually took a dance class and it was lit. Unfortunately, I didn't take videos and barely took any photos.

On the second week, we started learning the intro chorus of "Iconic by Mistake" and we were told to learn the chorus at the end by ourselves. For the first time since I was in the class, I finally got the intro on the first day, with almost all the moves and when I went home, I found the out incredibly lovely and had a lot of fun learning it except going out of breath but then we were told we wouldn't do it; it was extremely shattering and heart breaking but oh, well. 
We were also taught "Choom" by babymonster, but I wasn't around so I learnt the intro myself. And then we were told to learn the chorus "RedRed" by Cortis. When we came to class, it was extended and practicing the choreography made me really wonder how the members of Cortis always make their dance seem or look like they're vibing.

On the third week, I couldn't attend the first 3 days because my migraine suddenly hit me with a big "bang!" And I knew I shouldn't move my head too much which wouldn't be possible because moving my body would also mean my head too. We did formations and how it should be.

The last week, except for the first day was shooting dance covers. I was in all except Killin' it girl by J-hope (so a classmate and I had to sit it out) and unfortunately we weren't aware so I just had fun and at the end we practiced the formation of RedRed for the next day.

Even before I joined the Kpop Dance class, I always found it absurd how it was demanded of idols to dance and still sing love with their voices sounding perfect and even now, I understand better, my class was only for 2 hours per day (except weekends of course) but I was severely exhausted and often felt out of breath. Now imagine those idols that often practice for almost the whole day, probably everyday then when they go on stage, they're still taunted and expected to have perfect skin, perfect voices, perfect dances and look "flawless".

I just hope we as a society can be more kinder to ourselves and others but knowing the world as it is, that's basically impossible.

Here are some pictures (my classmates didn't want to be posted so these are just mine):

Till next time,
Queen Beela 🩷

Comments