An Artist's Expression and Inspiration

I always wondered what was lacking from my art, was it my skills? Or something else?

I've been watching Never Ending Summer and last night, I watched the Episode where Lu XiXiao asked the professor what was wrong with his painting, and he said something along the lines of him not showing himself in his paintings and that really clicked something in me.

I opened YouTube and the first video that popped up was a lady talking about all the paintings (or should I say artworks) that got Bs or FS and I didn't really think much of it but her skills were superb then I opened the comment section and someone said that "there's a difference between being an Artist and knowing how to draw" and another said something along the lines of "the artworks show no expression" and that hit me.
Maybe I've just been getting better at drawing and not really expressing myself.

That professor told Lu XiXiao that he should face himself and draw what he feels and I feel like yes, I've been drawing and getting better, yes, I enjoy drawing but I feel my art doesn't really show me; Who I am, What I do or even what I feel.

I opened Instagram and was just checking stories then I saw a couple of exhibited artworks and it really stood out so I clicked on the account to get a better look and the painting that really touched my soul was one that showed the night scenery of a beach with flowing water and people illuminated as light. It was a portrayal of what could be and maybe even the artist's emotion or memory at the time.

I never really liked giving an explanation to my poems because I do not want a fixed interpretation but I want everyone to feel and FEEL and then wonder what those words mean to them and it's always so beautiful but I never thought about the same for my art.

Yes, I do know Art should show expression but how? Is it the technique? Is it the experience? Or is it the Portrayal? I think it's showing yourself and facing everything; your past, present and future.

Lu XiXiao spoke about not having inspiration and realized that Zhou Wan was his inspiration. So, I began to think what exactly is my inspiration when it comes to art? I never thought about it before, so I don't know.

I wrote a lot in my poems about looking for something maybe that's what this is? Maybe a memory? A certain emotion? A stillness in time? Or even a person?

Regardless, this has really opened my eyes to see more on what Art is which is CREATION, art isn't just following a technique or getting better at what you're doing but also CREATIVE EXPRESSION.




Hoping we all find our inspiration,
Yours sincerely,
Queen Beela

Comments